Monday, October 15, 2007

Some updates

We added several links to other blogs on the sidebar. The two that I’ve been checking the most religiously lately are 10 Things Zine and Thee Head Vein. 10 Things is assembled by Dan Halligan, who used to write a punk rock zine in Seattle called Ten Things Jesus Wants You to Know. He updates the blog quite frequently—daily, from the looks of things—with most posts documenting long-gone, obscure punk bands. It’s great stuff. We anxiously await Dan’s coverage of The Recordbreakers! Thee Head Vein is devoted to old school garage rock and the stuff that it has influenced. Although the writer doesn’t focus on any particular region, there’s a fair amount of cross-over with some of the bands we discuss. It’s a great blog with tons of fantastic music.

On the post about Here Ain’t the Sonics, ex-Mono Man Mort left a message with a link to an interview he did on the radio (specifically, Pooner Clark's Locals Only show on KISM) that covers his entire career, starting with his surprisingly excellent high school band (The MPs) and going through The Dehumanizers, Game for Vultures, the Mono Men, and . . . Mort’s an interesting guy and mainstay of the local scene. Give it a listen while you’re at work.

Finally—and this is the coolest news of all—we learned a while back that Green River will be reuniting for a Sub Pop birthday bash next summer! (Actually, we heard about this through the grapevine a while back but have sat on the news, awaiting confirmation.) I can’t express how awesome I think this will be. Mark Arm and Steve Turner played at least one mini-reunion with Jeff Ament and Stone Gossard while touring with Pearl Jam (see the samples below), but this will be, from what I understand, the complete band.

The two tracks come from a one-off reunion at a Pearl Jam show in Las Vegas (November 30th,1993), albeit a reunion without Alex Vincent, who will be part of the upcoming reunion. Enjoy!

Swallow My Pride
Ain't Nothing to Do

10 comments:

Yannick said...

Life sucks and green river rocks

I wish I lived in Seattle

"Ain't Nothing To Do"

Susan M said...

I never got to see Green River live (was just barely too young to go see bands at that point), but I'll never forget the big spread The Rocket did on them. I bought their records because of it.

In recent years I took one of my old GR vinyl records to a Brad signing and had Stone sign it. He was tripping out over how old it was, and I was too tongue-tied to say a word about all the times I'd seen Mother Love Bone at places like the Kent Skate King. Argh!

hdvns said...

Thanks for the mention!! I'm honored, I've been enjoying your site for quite awhile! The Northwest has cranked out some fine rock over the years and I'm glad you're documenting it.
Cheers!

Anonymous said...

All the effort is very much appreciated...for some reason, the NW had a large influence on a lot of CT high schoolers in the late 80s/90s..especially TAD, Love Battery, Gas Huffer..I got to see a few shows at the X-Ray in Portland, and the Off Ramp in Seatlle during my "greyhound bus" vacation days. I play alot of bands from the era on my radio show (www.myspace.com/wiresinthewalls) if anyone is intersted. Any chance of seeing some of the Hazel singles, or "Airiana"? Thanks for everything!! -Sean

sca said...

why did cat butts write "when the man from geffen comes... shoot him with a gun" on their journey to the center of???

Lamestain HQ said...

No idea on the Cat Butt lyric. Interesting that they mention Geffen, though, since the record predates Nirvana's contract with Geffen.

Yannick said...

Shit I was listening to this live version of swallow my pride all the time, without realising this was a live version.

I bought the cd " this house is not a motel" and there is the original verison song on

Green river - swallow my pride
Seattle, USA. From rehab doll, features a groaning Kim Gordon

Cheers

Dan 10Things said...

Thanks for the support and link, I'm checking you're blog just as often! Recordbreaker photos will be coming, don't doubt it.

aa said...

When was the last time the MSM took a Republican's side in a fight over credibility with a Democratic opponent?Microsoft OfficeOffice 2010Well, it has been a while.Microsoft Office 2010However, conservatives have little to grumble about in the recent Office 2007face-off between Barack Obama and John McCain over McCain's statement that Microsoft Office 2007troops might have to remain for "100 years" in Iraq "as long as Americans are not being injured or harmed or wounded or killed" afterOffice 2010 keyfighting had concluded, Office 2010 downloadMost recently, ABC's Jake Tapper noted that at least on three occasions Obama had personally said that McCain favored continued fighting in Office 2010 ProfessionalIraq for 100 years. Tapper concluded that "Obama has in the past distorted McCain's comments" and "that he is violating his own stated Microsoft outlookaspirations...[b]ecause not only has he distorted what McCain said, he is not being honest about having made those distortions."Outlook 2010Tapper is not the only MSM reporter to point this out, Windows 7of course. It is not every day that the RNC sends around e-mail blasts quoting Frank Microsoft outlook 2010Rich ("Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton should be ashamed of themselves for libeling John McCain") and reports from the Chicago Tribune,

aa said...

As I write this post—longhandOffice 2010in a spiral notebook—I’m 20,000 feet above eastern Washington, having Microsoft Office 2010just crossed above the Cascades on my return flight Microsoft wordto Chicago. I visited Seattle for the weekend to Office 2007and I have known each other for 20 years now. They Microsoft Officehad a lovely ceremony, and the trip in general was fantastic.Microsoft Office 2007In the 13 years since I left Seattle, I’ve Office 2007 keyvisited six or seven times, and I always return to wherever has Office 2007 downloadOffice 2007 Professionalbecome home with mixed feelings about the place. It Outlook 2010both alarms and pleases me to see howMicrosoft outlookthat once-familiar areas seem almost foreign. ForMicrosoft outlook 2010neighborhoods have changed, to the point Windows 7 as have cookie-cutter, here-today-and-gone-tomorrow nightclubs that cater to the shiny shirt crowd.